Royal London Military Institute
(Associate member of the Conference of Defence Associations)
History of The RLMI
The United Services Institutes had their origin in 1831 when the Duke of Wellington, founded the Naval and Military Library and Museum
in London for the study and advancement of professional knowledge in the Armed Services. This became the Royal United Services Institute.
An inaugural meeting, to establish a United Services Club for Upper Canada, was held at York, U.C. On Monday, October 7, 1833 by a number of military
and naval officers. They believed there were about 400 officers in the Province who would decidedly support the club. The governor gave his sanction
to it. Dr. William (Tiger) Dunlop and Colonel Light presided at the meeting.
In November 1927, the London Garrison Officers Association was formed with membership including all Militia Officers. In October 1933, the Association
was reorganized and incorporated on November 9, 1933 as the Military Institute of Military District No. 1, with membership open to all area officers. In 1949, membership was
open to serving and retired officers of the Army, Navy and Air Force. The name was changed to the London Defence Forces Institute. Conforming to the provisions of the Canadian
Army Policy Letter No. 60 led to another name change to the London United Services Institute (LUSI) in November 1950. Royal Assent to become the Royal London Military
Institute (RLMI) was received from Queen Elizabeth II in November 1999.
The Royal London Military Institute is an associate member of the Conference of Defence Associations.